The report below by The Daily Herald is the last information we can find on this case. We will dig some more to see if this case ever went to trial and if so the outcome.
A former Scotland Neck police officer has been indicted in connection to the November death of Roger Anthony.
A grand jury in Halifax County indicted John Turner, 26, on the charge of involuntary manslaughter, in the Nov. 21 death of Roger Anthony, 61, who died after Turner shot him with a stun gun.
Turner responded to a call in reference to an intoxicated man around 2:30 p.m. Nov. 21. When Turner arrived, he saw Anthony riding his bike in the area and tried to get him to stop. When Anthony didn’t stop, Turner shot him with his stun gun.
According to the North Carolina Medical Examiner’s Office, Anthony died from head trauma suffered when he fell from his bicycle and hit his head on the pavement.
Anthony had a history of seizures, according to the autopsy report, and had endured a craniotomy in the past, which is a surgical procedure where part of the skull is removed to allow surgical access to the brain.
The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation looked into the case at the request of the Scotland Neck Police Department, and after a lengthy investigation, the Halifax County District Attorney’s office obtained an indictment June 25.
Turner was served with an order for arrest July 6 and has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in Anthony’s death.
He is free on bond and is due in court Aug. 6.
Turner resigned from the Scotland Neck Police Department after Anthony’s death.
Scotland Neck Mayor Leonard Bunting and Police Chief Joe Williams declined to comment on the case when reached this morning.
District Attorney Melissa Pelfrey did not immediately respond to a request to comment this morning.
She emailed The Daily Herald last week she had no comment on the Anthony case.
Reported by 8newsnow.com
By Brian Brennan, Reporter
BOULDER CITY, Nev. — All three family members involved in a Boulder City shooting died from gunshot wounds to the head, according to the Clark County coroner.
The coroner said the gunshot deaths of 46-year-old Kathryn Michelle Walters and 5-year-old Maximilian Walters were homicides. The coroner said the manner of death for 52-year-old Hans Pieter Walters, a Metro police lieutenant, was suicide by a gunshot wound to the head.
The shootings happened Monday morning in the 1300 block of Esther Drive in Boulder City. Police say Walters called 911 and said he had killed his wife and son and was preparing to set the house on fire.
When emergency crews arrived at the home, they briefly saw Walters outside the house, but he went back inside and shot himself.
A small memorial has grown in front of the house.
“We were just talking about how you don’t expect it to happen, especially from someone in the police department. It’s not something you expect to see,” said Lacie Cannabo, who left a card at the memorial in from of the home.
Neighbors said Walters, his wife, and son seemed like any regular family. The boy attended kindergarten at Andrew Mitchell Elementary School across the street from his home. One woman told 8 News NOW she was good friends with Kathryn Walters and she never indicated there was any trouble in her home.
Reported by The Huffington Post
A Maryland jury has convicted a District of Columbia police officer of killing his mistress and leaving their baby daughter to die in hot car.
The Prince George’s County jury returned the verdict Thursday evening against Richmond Phillips on two counts of first-degree murder.
Phillips was arrested in June 2011 after police found the body of 20-year-old Wynetta Wright in the Oxon Run Stream Valley Park. Her 1-year-old daughter, Jaylin, was found dead nearby in a car seat in Wright’s car. Police say the girl may have died as a result of exposure to the heat. Court records show Phillips and Wright were involved in a paternity dispute.
Prosecutors say Phillips faces life without the possibility of parole plus 20 years at sentencing March 22.
Law enforcement investigating law enforcement:
According to a Georgia Bureau of Investigation report, the Cherokee Sheriff’s Deputy Jason Yarbrough has been cleared of any wrongdoing in the shooting of Andrew Messina.
After release of a 700-page report prepared by the Georgia Bureau of Investigations, District Attorney Garry Moss ruled that he found no reason to arrest or prosecute Yarbrough, the summary states.